The animal imaging and analysis lab provides state-of-the-art imaging and analytical services for Sanford Burnham Prebys investigators. The facility can perform in vivo non-invasive luminescence and fluorescence imaging for xenograft tumor growth and metastasis studies. Analytical equipment supports complete blood cell counts (CBC) and analysis of serum components revealing metabolic or organ stress from small samples of mouse blood.
Imaging services can be performed by Sanford Burnham Prebys animal facility specialists. Please schedule your procedures through iLab. We can also provide Luciferin for use with the Xenogen IVIS Spectrum Imaging system and Blood Analysis services, CBCs and blood chemistries.
Appropriate animal health information is needed for external investigators wishing to utilize the imaging facility.
Please contact the Facility Manager, Judy Wade, 858-646-3100 x3285, to inquire about specific tests that can be performed.
Equipment & Resources
- VisualSonics Vevo 770 (VisualSonics)
- High resolution in vivo ultrasound imaging system includes: Pulsed Wave Doppler, M-Mode, Contrast Software Mode, and 3D Acquisition and Visualization Package. Accessories: Ultrasound Guided Injection System, Anesthesia System and Advanced Physiological Monitoring System. The ultrasound is useful for visualization of embryos in early stage pregnancy; visualization of embryos for organ specific injection in utero; volume measurement of mouse mammary tumors for drug studies with fewer animals; volume measurements of mouse prostate tumors to evaluate tumor development without killing of the animals; potential to image pancreatic tumors; and with the potential for measuring tumor blood flow with contrast agents.
- IVIS Spectrum Imager (Xenogen)
- For non-invasive in vivo imaging of luminescence or fluorescence. Anesthesia system allows analysis of live mice. We use luciferase labeled tumor cells or transgenic reporter mice. We have 9 luciferase labeled cell lines, please contact Judy Wade for their availability.
- Pearl Imager (LI-COR)
- The Pearl Impulse is a near-infrared fluorescent imaging system for small animals. With the Pearl Impulse, researchers can visualize imaging agents in mice dynamically with real-time imaging. The rapid one-button acquisition simultaneously detects 700 nm and 800 nm channels. Please click the links below for more information.
- Faxitron MX-20 (Faxitron X-ray Corporation)
- X-ray instrument for performing bone densitometry and body composition measurements using a dual-function digital and film imaging system.
- Nearby access to MRI, PET/SPECT and CT Imaging through the Molecular Imaging Center at Sanford Consortium.
For a Price List, please call (858)646-3100 ext. 3262 or email us.