Date and time
About the symposium
We are excited to share a valuable career and professional development opportunity. This event will showcase the biomedical research of exceptional scholars, including:
- Late-stage doctoral students who are less than two years from completing their Ph.D. program
- Early-stage postdoctoral scholars who are no more than two years post-degree
Scholars from underrepresented groups in the sciences are strongly encouraged to apply as we strive to increase the visibility of diverse future leaders in biomedical research.
This event is hosted by the Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI) Recruiting Committee. We strive to create an inclusive workforce through hiring practices and recruitment and retention strategies that are equitable and result in increased representation.
Selected scholars will be invited to:
- Present research in an oral format
- Network with other students, postdoctoral fellows and faculty
- Attend a reception to celebrate diversity and science
- Participate in a professional development session
- Tour laboratories and core facilities
- Meet with faculty to learn about available postdoctoral opportunities at our Institute
Travel, lodging and meals will be paid for by Sanford Burnham Prebys.
Scholars from groups underrepresented in the sciences are strongly encouraged to apply.
Through our online application portal, Rising Stars Symposium candidates will:
- Complete the online application that includes a brief diversity statement
- Submit a CV
- Provide the contact information of the principal investigator, research advisor or mentor who can serve as a reference
The application deadline is February 15, 2022.
Selected scholars will be notified by March 8, 2022, and will have a week to confirm participation.